Thursday, March 01, 2007

Read something written on paper

Happy World Book Day everybody! Here in the UK we like to get our book celebrating done early (the designated day for the rest of the world is April 23rd). So in the spirit of all things literary I urge everyone to do a bunk from work and bury themselves in a good book!

I was trying to think of my favourite book to recommend, then my 3 favourites, then my top 10 but it's too much of a struggle to pick! So instead, here are the first few that sprung to mind that I think people should give a go (with links to buy them, although if you have a good library nearby all should be available):

(Classics)
Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome
Coming Up for Air by George Orwell

(Some modern sorts)
Armadillo by William Boyd
Complicity by Iain Banks
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
The Best a Man Can Get by John O'Farrell

I've enjoyed all of the above immensely so would love a couple in there to take your fancy. Despite being a bit of a book freak myself I know sitting for a couple of hours with just a good author for company isn't everyone's cup of tea. I think deep down though that anybody can be affected by a darn good read, so if it's not in your normal cycle to pick up a book when there's nothing on the telly, maybe World Book Day would be a good time to give it a go? Let me know how you get on if you do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And if you can't make it to the library/book shop/Amazon website, don't forget that we have our "book sharing box scheme" in the office with a good mix of books which would suit everybody!!

James said...

Good shout Nic! I'll try bring some more in for the box too!